Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Leica Price increase
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 16:11:55 -0500

Given how utterly insane all this has gotten, and how puzzling some of
the reactions have been to the price increase - i.e., 'so what's a
couple hundred dollars - after all, it's a Leica?' - I'd like to suggest
the following:

I think it's long past time for everyone on this list with any kind of
relationship - other than customer - with ANY photo equipment
manufacturer to come out of the company closet and tell us all what that
the relationship exists, and what it is. I'm not suggesting that you
tell us how much money you're paid - if that's the case - simply that
you tell us that you're a paid consultant. If you give talks for Leica,
Nikon, Canon, Holga, tell us that. If you get demo equipment, tell us
that. If you get loaner equipment on occasion, tell us that too.

I do not believe that there is anything wrong with any of this - we all
have livings to make. But what I do think is that it if we all know what
people's relationship is with Leica, or any other manufacturer, we can
take that into account when judging their comments on the company and
the equipment.

I'll go first - I have over the years gotten both film and digital
loaner equipment from Olympus. Actually, I think I have already stated
that I am playing with a loaner N20 digital, but if I haven't, I am.

Anyone else?

B. D.