Subject: Re: [Leica] If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very interested. I know people do use this scanner in OS-X, so it can be done. I'm wondering if I need to install VueScan.
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 10:51:01 -0500

On Friday, December 27, 2002, at 08:28 AM, Keith Johnson wrote:

>     If you would like to operate your scanner without any issues, first
> uninstall all the software for the scanner in OSX. Then Boot into 9.2,
> do
> not try to run in classic. Install the programs you need to run in
> 9.2, and
> do your imaging work there. Do your self a favor and get a copy of
> pshop 6
> or 7  instead of elements. Vuescan is ok, but slow,  and not needed.
> Even in
> Jaguar, scanners are having big issues, and imho the best path is the
> one of
> least resistance. I have done  a fair amount of work in both OS's
> using many
> different scanners and printers. Until OSX gets some more support from
> the
> mfg's of periferals, I find 9.2 best for imaging. Of course someone
> will
> answer to this and report that they have no problems at all and that I
> am
> not using the machine to its greatest potential, but the fact is that
> 90
> percent of the people on the planet blessed with new Mac's have
> problems
> with OSX.

Well, I don't know where you get your stats from, but I run six macs,
the guy in the next office has two, and upstairs they have fifty or so.
They're all running OS X (the latest version) and between us we run
scanners, printers, plotters, telescopes, planetaria, graphics tablets,
video digitizers, midi software... I think you get the picture. I
personally run a USB scanner, SCSI scanner, 2xUSB printers, 1xUSB card
reader, wacom tablet, wireless mouse, Dazzle firewire video breakout
box, outboard CD writer... and so on. I haven't run classic never mind
booted into OS 9 since I bought the computer I now use (in August).

The latest Epson TWAIN software runs flawlessly in OS X. The one piece
of software there are issues with, and it's just feature lack, is the
Epson 1280 printer driver which lacks the ability to print custom paper
sizes. The workaround is to use Gimp Print or if you need a color
controlled workflow to either print from classic or dump off to a print
server (I have a PC to do that). Damn Epson for not doing this.

Your experiences reflect the situation a year ago not now.

JB