Subject: Re: [Leica] Way Off Topic Hasselblad Xpan Camera
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:15:41 -0600

> Does anyone have and use this camera with the 45/f4 lens?
>
> If so, what do you think of it?

I have and use the xPan with the 45 and the 30. I had the 90 and never used it.
The camera feels good to me and provides a format that no other 35mm provides.
I've had about 3 years of experience with the system. The finish doesn't stand
up very well but the electronics and mechanics seem to keep on working very
well. The metering works very well. The optics provide great sharpness -
especially the 30mm. The lens speed frustrated me until I simply accepted the
system's limitations. The camera lives with the 30 more or less permanently
attatched, rarely use the 45 since acquiring the 30.

Obviously this is specialty tool. "Seeing" for this format requires some
adjusting of one's visual thinking. Both this tool and my 12x20 Korona require a
significant shift in consciousness, unless I stand before a scene that just
screams for for the pan look. And a puzzling phenomena occurs from viewers -
some love the aspect ratio and some hate it.

Replies: Reply from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Way Off Topic Hasselblad Xpan Camera)