Subject: Re: [Leica] If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very interested. I know people do use this scanner in OS-X, so it can be done. I'm wondering if I need to install VueScan.
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 22:43:41 -0500

> Again I have to take issue with this. Vuescan is slightly slower than
> proprietary drivers because it drives the scanners at maximum quality,
> and avoids vibration and resonance issues which cause banding in some
> models. However it has some very large advantages over proprietary
> drivers:
>
> 1)     It provides one interface for all your scanners
> 2)    It provides proper control over clipping, including histograms. The
> Epson TWAIN driver is next to impossible to control in this respect
> since it provides no histograms and you tend to either clip your black
> and white points or set them way outside your data, either suboptimal
>
> I'd say that Vuescan is an essential tool. You may not use it for every
> scan, but there are some scans it will save your ass on.
>
> JB

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.  I am still having problems, but
I'm making progress.  I installed 10.2.3 today and that went fine.
Unfortunately, when I tried to install Epson Twain 5 something bizarre
happened that I have never had happen with any other program.  Quite simply,
I don't know where it went!  I have tried searching in the finder with no
luck.  It certainly isn't associated with the plug-in folder of PS Elements.

In the end out of frustration I downloaded Vuescan.  I have only spent a few
minutes with it but at least I know the scanner works fine.  I'd like to
save the $40 but if I can't figure out what happened to Twain I'll just
stick to Vuescan.  Besides, what you say about the settings makes sense and
if this is a more photographer-friendly piece of software, so much the
better.

Anyway, the Epson seems like a fine piece of equipment and Elements isn't
bad for the $50 it cost me (a benefit of being a student).  Incidentally,
does anyone know if Hamrick offers student discount as well?  :-)

Simon Stevens