Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital Has Limits?
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 11:19:25 -0500

> > Kind of dismayed after reading the specs for a N*k*n
> D1X.......It's lowest
> > allowable operating temp is 32F.  I've used my Standard
> Leicaflex at 5 above
> > without a hitch.  Hmmmm.
>
> That representing the lower specification limit for the vast majority of
> semiconductions. Granted the semiconductors will often work at lower
> temperatures but their parameters are not guaranteed.
>
> Also, not all manufactures spec their products in strict adherence to the
> semiconductor specifications for the devices used.
>
> Austin, over to you

Hi Dennis,

You are right on the money.  Commercial grade semiconductors are spec'd to
operate over the range of 0-50C, and that's it.  Going outside those
parameters can possibly give "unexpected" results...

Even if you test one example of a camera, or even 100, and it happens to
work at -10C, that doesn't mean all of them will, as the components are ONLY
specified to work at 0-50C...unless EVERY component/camera is screened to
operate over a new temperature range (varying the voltage over it's
specified range as well), you can't guarantee compliant operation.

I happen to have a thermal chamber (-35 to +150C), and for a marginal fee,
I'd be happy to test someone's digital camera ;-)

Austin