Subject: [Leica] Re: Source for 39mm graduated neutral density filters?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 13:04:02 -0800

At 07:31 AM 1/4/2003 -0800, Tristan Tom wrote:
>Does anyone know a source of 39mm graduated neutral density filters? Do
>these even exist? I think this would make shooting landscapes with an M
>camera nicer in that it would hold back the sky a bit.
>
>Tristan Tom Photography

I use a HiTech holder (Calumet and Lee are similar) which holds 4" wide
filters. I use 4x6 ND grad filters made by HiTech (resin), Tiffen (glass),
& Heliopan (glass). B+W also makes them.

I have adapters for my HiTech holder from 39mm up to 86mm. They simply
clamp into the holder. I can use my grads and other 4" square or
rectangular filters on all of my cameras (4x5, 6x6, 35mm) and lenses.

I recommend using a 4" holder whether Cokin, HitTech, Calumet, etc., as the
4" filters from HiTech, Sinar, Tiffen, B+W, Heliopan, etc, are better
quality than the run-of-the-mill Cokin resin filters.

For instance, I have a HiTech 1.8 ND filter (6 stops) that I use to make
moving water look silky.

IMHO, and from years of use,

Jim