Subject: [Leica] Code U --400 2.8 R APO MODULAR - Mystery no more
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 16:39:05 -0500

Hi Austin, all-
    From time to time Leica NJ sends it's dealers a list of equipment used
(hence code U) as 'Demo' stuff, or in some way or another, by Leica
themselves. There can be a whole range of things -- from lens hoods to M7
bodies (Mike's got one of these) to M and R lenses all shapes and sizes.
Binocs as well! The dealer gets a good discount and can offer the piece at a
discounted price - usually with a Leica 1 year warranty. I had to wait a
long time - but got my Big Glass that way (Now Doug Herr has me running
around with a little 400 6.8! :-)
To be fair, I think the list is faxed to all dealers on the same day - so I
usually tell them to keep an eye out for me.
    90% of the time, the stuff is NEW in the box!! And much less expensive
that a brand new item - and has , for me, worked well (Bodies are tested
first as well!)  :-)    Sorry -- I thought Code U was common knowledge -
Sounds as if it should be a TV show on opposite CSI:Miami ---
        Ed