Subject: Re: [Leica] Random Ranter - I want my digital M8!
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 00:27:14 -0500

> I have heard a rumour about a DSLR from Leica based on the R6.2 body. This
> is 3rd hand, so I personally have not taken it seriously.

Minolta and Leica doing a digital body?  PLUEAZE.  Leica ceased production
on the R6.2 because Minolta ceased production on the shutter assembly.  And
as mentioned on this list previously, in the spring of 2002 Moody's cut
Minolta's rating one level to B2, five levels below the lowest
investment-grade rating.   The LOWEST.   But can you spell
P-a-n-a-s-o-n-i-c?

As for the proposed Konica-Minolta merger, Konica has the capital and
Minolta the debt to make this work.  Could this merger signal the end of
Minolta photography as we know it?  As you may recall, various reports from
Photokina 2002 indicated that Konica had no interest in selling its photo
gear, only digital photocopiers.  The primary business of the K-M
partnership will be just that: photocopiers.  Right now, and for the
foreseeable future, high end digital photography is in the hands of Canon,
Nikon and Kodak.   Unless there are new partnerships formed out of some
variation of Leica/Contax/Panasonic/Sony, who else has the bucks to even get
into the game?

Gary