Subject: Re: [Leica] FS -- For those in need.
From: Patrick Jelliffe <pbjbike@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:35:07 -0800 (PST)

Auctions at Christie's or a cattle ring in Wyoming
have one thing in common--Fewer people bid, or maybe
none at all, if the starting price is too high. Part
of human nature enjoys the thrill of watching a thing
progress and getting a "deal".  Even if you end up
paying the same price for that Summicron that you
would have at B&H, the thrill of watching your baby
progress  incrementally over the days when you first
discovered her-- hidden, mis-listed as "old
rangefinder lens", are filled with anticipation.  In
the end most items go for market rate, but there's a
bit of fun in it, no? Reserves ought to be set for the
bare minimum, or less, that one is willing to take for
an item, not the full price one hopes to get.

Patrick