Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 2003, Week 2...
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:37:43 -0800

Rob Mason's  PAW 2003, Week 2...

> Here is my second offering to the PAW for the year:
>
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/rcm/image-37730.html
>
> A few days ago, I posted my first ever PAW entry, and I got several
that
> the face of the subject was too dim.  My skill as a photographer is still
> being refined (read "developed"), so I do not know if I could have done
more
> at the time of shooting to remedy the problem.  The only solution now is
> doctor the photo via computer.  My question is this:  What is the best
> elementary program for photo refinishing?  Is Photoshop the only
worthwhile
> tool available?
>
> As always, comments, critiques, and smart-ass remarks are welcome and
> encouraged.<<<

Hi Rob,
do not take any of this as smart  ass comment!

The first question you as photographer should ask when you look at this
picture is: "What was the motivating factor to make this exposure?" What
triggered you to shoot what we see here?

Because as I see it, there isn't any point of interest. Break the shot
down... the lady on the extreme left is clearly out of focus and could've
been cropped out before posting.  the lady and chap in the centre appear to
be your point of interest are in focus but without any point of interest or
what they're doing.

The picture looks like the kind of shot that when you got home and show it
to family and say..." here's Mary and Joe during the emergency response
drill."  And the family would recognize them because they know who they are
and would understand what you were showing.

We don't, well OK me, as a photo editor, do I understand what you're trying
to illustrate?  It's an exposure of some people. As there isn't any
relevance to anything this a bunch of people jammed together looking around
are doing without your words of   " Same cruise... Muster drill to review
emergency procedure (think Titanic)."     So? Where's the point of interest?

This is shot because you're in the group doing the same as the folks in the
picture....can't move about looking for a better angle and that being the
case, I can understand the problem. But could you not see the officer giving
the instructions and frame him between the heads of the passengers? Or if
the girl in focus is with you or the one out of focus, show her tightening
her life vest or in some manner doing something with it.... ? Or something ?

This is the kind of situation that really requires a wide angle lens, 21,
28, 15. I realize some folks don't have all the glass at their finger tips
as some do or a professional might. That's just a point of instruction for
the next time.

It would be helpful from a learning point if you could explain why and what
was the motivating reason you made the exposure? Then any number of
experienced photographers here could give you a better reason of what to
look for or in how to have improved this shot.

Maybe this critique will be seen as somewhat helpful and avoid a blizzard of
"critique posts, critiquing the critiquer!."

I trust this is a little helpful and it would be a whole bunch more helpful
if you come back and tell us what you were trying to show.
thanks,
ted

Replies: Reply from "Tom Smart" <tom@sleepytom.com> (Re: [Leica] PAW 2003, Week 2...)