Subject: Re: [Leica] Hipshot Street Project
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:39:46 -0500

On Friday, January 10, 2003, at 12:06 PM, Alan Weinschel wrote:

> I got through about four pages and saw nothing remarkable.  Is taking
> 300 shots without looking through the viewfinder akin to having 100
> monkeys bang on typewriters hoping for a novel.  It seems so random and
> so contrary to photography as providing for and revealing a unique and
> personal "eye".

I did it as hipshots precisely so that I wouldn't have any personal
attachment to any particular frame, or any worry about what people
might think of it. However it is not at all random. While the framing
is sloppy to say the least, you are able to grab moments much faster
than by moving to the camera to the eye. It all depends what you are
looking for. My own rules prevent me from giving you a particular
example until the project is over but there are at least four or five
images in there that I am happy about and maybe ten or fifteen that
would make it into a looser edit. Most street photographers work with a
hit-rate of around this order. Anyway the point is not to come up with
great pictures but to discover something about the process of editing.
- --
John Brownlow