Subject: Re: [Leica] flash photo
From: Per Claesson <per@visimedia.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:28:44 +0100

I like flash. I don't agree on this notion of "flash is bad" or "flash
is bad for b/w". Flash is simply light, and part of photography is how
to use light right. If you mount a desktop lamp on top of your camera
and aim it right into the eyes of a person it will look as bad as a
head-on flash does. But if you bounce flashes off the ceiling or walls
as appropriate, or shoot them through diffusors, scrims and other
interesting things they may make wonders.

I am trying to learn flash photography, since I think it is a smart
thing -- for a split second I can lit up the room as I like, as much as
I need. I can use 25 ASA film if I want. And for the dark winters here
in Sweden flashes sometimes feel like a blessing.

I find this "anti-flash" talk a bit neophyte. Just put some light on
the scene, whatever way works and suits the moment.

Here are a couple of flash pictures btw (just a cheapo Vivitar bounced
off the ceiling):

http://www.leica-gallery.net/per-claesson/image-37791.html
http://www.leica-gallery.net/per-claesson/image-37789.html

Per