Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri Elmar repair
From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@icommag.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:25:29 -0400

> I'm hoping someone on the LUG my be able to advise me.  I sent my 3E off to
> Leica NJ to have the aperture ring tightened.  As mentioned on the LUG
> previously, this seems to be a common problem with the newer version of the
> this lens.  I received a letter from them yesterday indicating that they had
> to send the lens back to Germany for an estimate.  The lens was purchased in
> Germany about a year ago.  Does anybody have a clue why they need to send to
> back for an estimate?  I'm concerned because in the letter they speak about
> "lengthy" delays.  I'm heading to Cuba in February and want to take the lens
> with me. Is this a problem someone other than Leica NJ could fix here in the
> States?
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> Mike

first I do not think I would have sent it in for a aperture tightning as it
still works perfectly well loose. But, Leica, NJ really needs to make BIG
improvements in their repair facility. For them to send a lens off to
Germany for a simple thing like tightning an aperture ring is pretty unreal.
You would think they could understand that the USA is one of their biggest
(if not biggest) markets and deserves a first class repair facility. Think
about buying another TriElmar, then sell yours when it comes back.

sl