Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: Xtol developer with Professional Tri-X 400TX
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:32:08 -0700

As I understand it, based on discussion on the LF list, interjections from
Kodak and the changes in the sheet film, it not so much a new emulsion, as a
new base.

Kodak has set up a brand new coating facility and in the process, it seems
that on most of the films they are using a new base, which, if I understand
it correctly, has an effect on exposure and development.

There are some big Ansel fans out there who still stick religiously to HC110
and Tri-X. Kodaks recommended time for that has gone from 7 1/2 min to 3 3/4
minutes, which has cause some knickers to get twisted.

I've got the PDF's open here side by side for new and old Trix 400 and 320 -
there do seem to be differences in Kodaks recommendations for most
developers - though most not as much as for HC110  D76 @20c in a small tank
has gone from 8 to 6 3/4 minutes. (can't compare Xtol, 'cause the old PDF
doesn't list it and I'd have to dig out the Xtol pdf).

Ted, I'll email you the two pdf's - looks like you might need to run some
tests.

Some have suggested in most developers the percentage change isn't enough to
make a big difference - I guess it depends what you're doing...

tim

BTW - Ted - there's a chance I might be in Qualicum Beach and or Victoria at
the end of the month for a couple of days - are you on your travels then?