Subject: Re: [Leica] depth of field on Leica vario lens
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:39:08 -0800

At 3:29 PM -0700 1/12/03, Mike wrote:
>I recently purchased a R6.2 and a Vario-Elmar 1:4/35-70 lens. One thing that
>is missing on the lens is the depth of field scale that is included on most
>lenses. The instructions state that the depth of field information can be
>obtained from leica's depth-of-field table # 920 003. I have searched the
>leica site and it is not there. I've also tried searching the web with no
>luck.
>
>Does anyone know where I can download it or perhaps have a photocopy or scan
>I could have?

All 35-70 lenses for 35mm have the same depth of field, so general
tables like those at:

http://www.reginaphotoclub.com/webapps/Depth-of-FieldCalculator.html

will calculate your depth of field for you. Just print out the table
for the focal lengths you want, and keep them with your.

For the example in the URL above, different browsers give me
different looking results, so you might want to experiment,
especially if you want them in meters.

My best results come from OSX 10.2.3 and Chimera Navigator FWIW.

This table also has instruction on the formula used, so you can make
your own table in a spreadsheet.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design