Subject: Re: [Leica] Auction site
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:46:19 -0800

Patrick Jelliffe wrote:

> The end of an era has come today.  The auction site
> has removed the 'completed items' option from the
> Search link. How will I amuse myself without being
> able to watch the market ups and downs?

It makes perfect sense.  The "completed items" is of great use to
potential buyers to find out what the market price of an item they are
interested in is.  It is also useful for checking if something has been
relisted multiple times in a short period of time and not sold for the
reserve price.

However, since eBay makes (some of) its money of the final selling
price, it lies in their interest to keep buyers ignorant of market
prices, so that the psychology of auctions that drives up prices is
kept alive.  It, therefore, is hardly surprising that they have removed
this option from their search alternatives.

M.