Subject: RE: [Leica] I eat crow
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:49:32 -0500

Hi Henning,

> Technique has nothing to do with it.

Yes, it absolutely does.  I don't understand what the fuss is about, it
doesn't require a friggin' correction table, just a little understanding.

There are TWO different possibilities.  One is you focus on the subject
using the center of the rangefinder, as you should, then you re-frame.  The
second is there is nothing to get a good focus on the subject, so you "find"
something to focus on, believing it is the same distance from you as the
subject.

The plane of focus is an arc with the "anchor" point at the center of the
film plane, and the radius the distance to the subject.  As long as you KNOW
that and use that to focus, there is NO changing of focus to accommodate
this.

The first scenario above, where you focus on the subject, then re-frame the
camera expecting the subject to stay in focus IT WILL WITH NO FIRTHER
THOUGHT, as the subject distance has not changed.

For the second scenario, you simply find a spot along the arc that is the
same distance from you to focus on.  I don't know about you, but it is FAR
easier for me to judge something is the same distance away from me, than
judging if it is coplanar with the subject!

Austin

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (RE: [Leica] I eat crow)