Subject: [Leica] RE: RE:European technology
From: "Felix Lopez de Maturana" <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 01:01:27 +0100

>What "fine engineering" have we seen out of the French

Hi Austin

I'm not an engineer. I am an economist and a lawyer. That said I need too to
point out that I was in charge for different companies as purchasing manager
and finally and for almost twenty years I was in charge of purchasing as
General Manager of the main steel plant of my country.

Therefore if it is true that I cannot make an absolutely precise judgement
about french engineering I had many, truly many, feedback from repairing
people from the different plants and this as I had to supply them either man
force either spare parts or outward attendance. After very big repairs or
revampings an extended analisys was made. I exchanged deep comments with
production men and we all toghether made a report for the General Manager.

Under these basis I can say that, generally speaking, french facilities were
the more imaginative but not the more reliable. They got the results through
clever and elegant solutions but again, generally speaking, american
machinery was considerably more rustic but much more reliable. So, honestly
and humbly, I can say that I really appreciate the french engineering and
this upon a solid experience.

Coming back to cars, Austin and I know that you appreciate the Audi Quattro,
have a look to Citrôen. The DS was, by far, the pioneer of many, many
technics as hydraulic suspension and some others.An icredible complicate and
fine car a model of technical expertise.

Mainly I do not appreciate the scorn. And I think it's not a good idea to
declare others serious statements as a joke. It's like make fun of other
people. But, nevertheless, the car I most appreciate was my wife's Lancia
Quattro very similar to those that won so many times german cavaleries in
World Rallies Championship. I enjoyed seeing her driving really strong her
car. Now we are both a lot more tranquille and the Lancia is in the hands of
our doughter (30).

Kind regards

Felix