Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions/comments on 135/3.4 APO Telyt M lense...
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:22:22 EST

In a message dated 1/17/03 1:45:56 PM, don.ro@verizon.net writes:

<< The pressure plate in the one and only M6 I ever bought was so poorly

finished it scratched the film. I set it up on a diamond lap and lapped it

till is was FLAT and SMOOTH.

The only thing one can say now days about a Leica is it is slightly better

finished than its competitors. Fortunately, the name Leitz has been removed

so that family's name will not be sullied by the current lack of care.

It is very difficult to replace former members of the German military

service who had a tremendous work ethic and pride in their work with the

current day vacationers who spend a huge amount of their time away from the

work bench.  Thank goodness for CNC equipment and molds that shape the APO

lenses without human intervention.

At one time there was pride in ownership when you owned a Leitz Leica.  Now

the mass production and off-shore sourcing has removed that source of pride,

at least for this writer.

Don R.

Very strange Don.  None of my Leica gear seems to suffer from the maladies
yours does.  Maybe you just have bad luck with your gear.   I have a Noctilux
that was I believe assembled in Canada.  The Canadians seem to have done a
pretty good job of assembling my lens.  But maybe the Canadians don't
vacation that much.

Kim