Subject: RE: [Leica] Tri Elmar Repair
From: Craig Zeni <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:24:59 -0500

At 12:57 AM 1/20/2003, you wrote:
>Austin--
>
>International warranties are honored by Leica USA, but the repair will be
>done in Germany. Leica USA warranties are honored outside the U.S., but the
>camera has to be sent to the U.S. for repairs. The Leica USA Passport
>Protection Plan Warranty is a special warranty paid for by Leica USA, over
>and above the Leica warranty provided by the factory. It is the equivalent
>of a special insurance policy that provides extra protection (plus an
>additional year as well as protection for conditions over and above the
>usual international warranty coverage) beyond the international warranty.
>
>Yes, Leica USA will honor the warranty in the sense that they will take the
>lens in at the New Jersey Leica USA offices, and then send the lens off to
>Germany for repair, where the repairs are undertaken and paid for by Leica
>AG. But they don't do the warranty service in the U.S. for non-U.S.
>warrantied lenses.

I'm with Austin - this is pure weasel.  In effect I would be penalized for
having the temerity of purchasing a Leica lens when out of country on
vacation/holiday.  Not a grey market purchase from Delta Int'l etc, but a
purchase where I walked in the door of a Leica dealer in Europe or Asia and
bought the product over the counter.  A properly validated warranty card
from that authorized dealer should get me service in the US without this
balderdash of shipping it overseas.

>I think not enough folks in the U.S. (or outside the U.S.) know about the
>special protection of the U.S. warranty. Naturally, you won't find Leica
>dealers outside the U.S. pushing people to buy a U.S. Leica, as it carries a
>better warranty than the international warranty.
>
>Leica USA doesn't "shirk" their responsibility to repair the lens under the
>non-US warranty; it is my understanding, on information provided me by our
>representative, that the lens will be forwarded to Germany for the repairs.

Sure looks like shirking to me.  I would not be asking for the Passport
coverage, only the coverage to which I am entitled under the warranty
conditions applicable in the country where I made the purchase.

- --
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...