Subject: Re: [Leica] Traveling by air with RabidWinder?
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:49:28 -0500

Austin Franklin wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> I thought about that...but it may draw attention to it...and they may want
> me to take the tape off so they can see what's underneath it!
>
> Austin

The last few times I've travelled with mine, I've taken the precaution
of also carrying the regular base plates in my checked baggage so that,
in the event of a problem, I would still be able to shoot at the other
end. I think next time, I'll also carry a padded self-addressed envelope
so that in case the security people have an issue with the winders, I
can whip them off, mail them to myself, and still catch the plane. I've
had a few small items not make it through the screening and you
basically have very few options other than losing the items unless you
are hours early for your flight. If you can believe it, one of the
things confiscated was the allen wrench used to attach the RRS
Arca-Swiss baseplate.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com