Subject: RE: [Leica] Tri Elmar Repair
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:16:34 -0700

> 5) Leica USA has more than a dozen skilled and certified technicians who
> work out of its New Jersey location. Anything that requires repair can be
> done in the U.S. Most of the technical staff are from Germany. So this
> notion that the repairs can't be done here because the personnel are not
> experienced, or lack the training, is nonsense.>

Interesting that when my Summicron 90mm (current model at the time - out of
warranty. Lens was Leica USA, and I was in the USA at the time) got a ding,
they had to send it back to Germany for repair as they said they couldn't do
it. The cost of the repair was about the same as a new lens.

I sent it to an independent repair person who repaired it quite successfully
for $185.00 as I recall.

tim