Subject: RE: [Leica] Key West...
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:09:21 -0500

> > Hum...well, yeah, it's Florida...but it's in a different country.
> >
> > Seriously, don't even bother with the beaches...waste of time.  You want
> > beaches, go to Clearwater or Daytona or Miami...enjoy Key West
> for what it's
> > there for...Mallory Pier, the bungalow houses...lots of quaint
> stores, and
> > really zippy people ;-)
> >
> > Austin
>
> living here in the Arizona desert makes one yearn for beaches,
> BUT... I am looking forward
> to this trip (first time)  and thank you for the wise
> suggestions... what kind of film do
> you recommend for zippy people..?     :-)   Steve

Key West is more night life than day life, so I'd recommend something to
shoot at night as well.  For daytime, color Kodak Portral 160...yes it has
to be kept in the fridge, but that's what I use and recommend...your room
probably will have a fridge ;-)  For B&W, I use either Delta 100 or Plus-X
(preferred).

For night, bring some Neopan 1600 (Fuji) and Tri-X 400 (shoot at 400 or 800,
or even 200 if you want to use it for daylight use, but bring a sharpie to
mark it)...and some 400 Portra.  I'm not a fan of the 800 speed color films,
they are too grainy.  I'm sure you can get some decent night shots with
400...but...be aware of the color balance issue...  You can always use a
flash.

Regards,

Austin

BTW, if you run into a taxi driver named "David" who has longish hair, and
kinda looks like Rod Stewart (thin drawn out face..death warmed over) tell
him I said hi, and we have a new kid...that'll probably get you a free ride,
or perhaps dumped on the sidewalk ;-)

Good luck, and have a GREAT trip!  What hotel are you staying at?

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] Key West...)