Subject: [Leica] Continued catch-up: Nathan's PAW 1 and 2 now up also
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 06:30:46 +0100

In week 1 I have some scenes from downtown Copenhagen. One of the city's
grand squares, Kongens Nytorv, is transformed into a skating rink each
winter. I visited there at different times of day, but my favourite
image is this nighttime shot:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_1.jpg
(Bessa R2, 35mm Summilux ASPH, Fuji Neopan 1600)

The first alternate is a shot where I make deliberate use of the 21mm
lens distortion. I noticed this decorative manhole cover on Strøget,
Copenhagen's main pedestrian street, and the pattern of tiles jutting
out from it. Thinking it would look good in a wide angle view, I
positioned myself and fired off a few shots. The one I liked best is:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_1alt1.jpg
(M6HM, 21mm Voigtlander, Delta 100)

It was cold, really cold, and I noticed the pigeons huddling on manhole
covers to get some warmth:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_1alt2.jpg
(same tech data as alt 1)

Copenhagen has canals, not quite like Amsterdam, but they are nice too.
In one of them there is this underwater sculpture:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_1alt3.jpg
(same tech data as alt 1)

The last alternate is from Brøndby Strand, the suburb to the south of
Copenhagen where my father lives. Looking down from his balcony there is
a long, wide promenade. I have often photographed it but never
successfully. This winter image, with the naked trees and a man walking
his dog, comes closest:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_1alt4.jpg
(M6HM, 90mm Apo Summicron, Delta 100)

Week 2 is also from Denmark, and the common theme for the 3 images is
the sky. The main picture is the bridge between Denmark and Sweden,
connecting the cities of Copenhagen and Malmö. It is actually a combined
bridge and tunnel, total length about 18 km. Here is how it looks from
the Swedish side:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_2.jpg
(M6HM, 21mm Voigtlander, Delta 100, red filter)--I realise that there is
a bit of flare in the image but it is against my Photoshop Code of
Conduct to remove it, and besides I had a lot of Photoshopping to do
yesterday ;-)

The two alternates are both sunrises, taken at opposite sides of the
country. I know that sunrises and sunsets are a bit of a cliché, but
then again, when nature puts on a great show, who am I to ignore it?
First in Copenhagen, again from my father's balcony, looking towards
Avedøre and the garbage incinerator there. I have previously posted this
view in B&W, this time I think it works better in colour:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_2alt1.jpg
(M7, 90mm Apo Summicron, Provia 400F)

And a cold winter sunrise in eastern Jutland, just south of my home town
of Århus:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_2alt2.jpg
(M7, 50mm Summilux, Kodachrome 64)

The complete 2003 index is at:
http://www.wajsman.com/indexpaw2003.htm
and comments and critique are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland