Subject: RE: [Leica] 2002 beach noctilux photos
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:59:56 -0500

I'd like it a whole lot better if it had been taken with a Holga,
because then the background would be out of focus and soft, but wouldn't
have a weird "out-of-focus" look that literally upsets my stomach.

Most lenses have a way of producing out-of-focus areas - bokah - that to
one degree or another produces a natural look, similar to that produced
by your eye - the background is soft, with the objects that are in it
suggested more than shown. But the Noctilux seems to smear the
background, creating a disturbing effect. And in some photos, this also
ends seeming to turn the in-focus objects into what almost appear to be
paper cut outs, dropped into the out-of-focus areas.

But, hey, allot of you seem to like the look - so enjoy. :-)

B.D.