Subject: [Leica] Re: Martin's choice
From: Bill Lawlor <wvl@infinex.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:36:45 -0800

C) Get a film scanner.  I pretty much am never going to make digital
prints -- I use my Leica's and Bessa's for that.  I prefer shooting
with them (small, useful, lots of lenses, accessories, etc).  So, I was
thinking that maybe I should just shoot film and get a reasonably
decent scanner instead.  All the advantages of doing my own
development, along with not having to buy a new camera outfit.  But
what about cost?  I'd not want to spend much more than about $800 on a
scanner (since it'd have the same lifetime disadvantages as a
point-and-shoot digital).  Can you get decent quality for that?

Any thoughts?  What did *you* do?  A, B, or C?

Martinb, a minimalist soultion would be to buy an inexpensive flatbed
scanner and scan your prints for web use. the famous Ralph Gleason still
prints with his  Leitz Focomat and scans the prints with a flatbed Epson
followed by such Photoshop and CD burning as needed.

Bill Lawlor