Subject: Re: [Leica] Chamber music pictures
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:49:10 -0800 (PST)

Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com> wrote:

> Yikes!  Talk about contrast!  There's like, what, three shades of
> grey, plus pitch black and brilliant white in those shots!

> Nicely captured moments, but the contrast is too extreme for my taste
> and takes away something from the photographs.  Are the negs the same,
> or is it an artifact of scanning?

It's the negs.  There was no way to measure the light before hand, as the
stage lights were dark until the performers came out.  It was more glaring
and contrasty than I realized.  I did my usual trick of measuring the
reflection off the stage floor and compensating, but I should have closed
down at least two stops instead of one.  So the faces are blown out.

This is why I think I need a spot meter.  :-)  I usually guess right in
situations like this, but it would be nice not to have to guess.  You
can't always march up on stage beforehand with an incident meter. That's
what I do when I can get away with it :-)

- --Peter

In re.

I think I like #18 the best, as it captures the intensity of the
playing.
http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/dschfest/18ClarTrioWeb2.jpg

And the rest:
http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/dschfest/10Sabee_web.jpg