Subject: Re: [Leica] COLUMBIA
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 18:46:20 -0500

Toxic can mean many things.  From two conversations I had with someone on
their way to contract negotiations with the military,  radioactive materials
are used in some long life batteries.  The shuttles were designed long
enough ago that toxic could mean an asbestos like material.

Heavy metals such as Cadmium  could also be present in the debris.

So, while the great mass of wreckage is probably no more harmful than what
we could find in your average solid waste facility, there are probably the
odd bit that could be dangerous.  Remember, the wreckage from the Challenger
was buried very deeply.  I remember at the time thinking that was a poor
decision as a future exhibit at the Smithsonian could have made use of some
of the larger pieces.  There would be a good reason to bury something so
historically significant.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com