Subject: RE: [Leica] RE:Ebay
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 18:37:15 +0100 (MET)

> Yes. I never had operational responsibility for Alta Vista, but I was
> one of the key players in starting it and keeping it running. You will
> note that DEC went out of business in June 1999; one reason is that it
> never knew how to adapt to new things such as Alta Vista. Imagine
> clinging to old-fashioned engineering such as was done in the previous
> century...

Many thought VAX VMS was the way to do :)

It was a crying shame that DEC fizzled out. Things like that put a certain
perspective on Microsoft and other companies that appear to be rock solid.
Things sure do change fast in that business.

I think I've seen Brian Reid's name around every since I pounded away at
my first C-64 :)

Daniel