Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: M 50mm f/2.0 50 Year Summicron
From: "Kit McChesney | Acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:50:13 -0700

Well, they've got a lot more money than "cents" for having the "sense" to
collect Leicas all these years ... consider that many of them have purchased
Leica products over the years and now are enjoying a very handsome return on
their investment that has, frankly, beat many of the traditional investments
most of us are familiar with. And the cameras are beautiful objects, apart
from their marvelous function. Works of art, for sure. Appreciating all the
time. I could put some of these items in storage and pull them out in two or
three or five years and see a considerable appreciation on my investment.
There are dealers who do this all the time.

I see lots of folks really denigrating the collectors on the LUG and
elsewhere, but they haven't thrown their money away. Maybe they don't use
the cameras, maybe they let them sit in the boxes and wait for them to age,
like good wine. But I doubt that a "lack of sense" is motivating their
purchase. The underlying motivation for purchasing Leica, whether as a
collector piece or as a tool for making great pictures is the same. The
quality, or reputation for quality. That's where the value is for both
buying audiences.

I'm not trying to be an uncritical horn-tooter for Leica, or for collectors,
but if they weren't mighty cool cameras, and worthy of collecting, we
wouldn't be here talking about them so much! ;-)

K.