Subject: Re: [Leica] dry mounting Epson 2200 prints
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 12:12:42 -0800

Tina Manley wrote:

> At 03:59 PM 2/7/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >Has anyone had experience dry mounting an Epson 2200 pigment ink color
> >print using a hot Seal press?  Am I  better off just using a precut mat
> >with archival tape to hlld the print in place?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Richard
>
> Richard -
>
> The word on the Digital Fine Arts list is that you can do this but it is
> much better to use linen tape.  If you are going to dry mount your inkjet
> prints, you should let them dry or "season" for several days before dry
> mounting them and use the color dry mount paper that seals at a lower
> temperature.
>
> They stay flat fine with linen tape so I don't dry mount mine.
>
> Tina

I think much of the issues behind dry mounting is print flatness anyway.
A dry mounting press will certainly get a darkroom print flat no matter
what it does.
Some just use it for flattening and not mounting such as myself.

And Inkjet prints are flat to begin with as they are not involved in a
water process like darkroom prints.
There is no drying and flattening.
The linen tape would be the simple elegant way to deal with the inkjet
mounting problem.

Dry mounting an inkjet seems like using a steam shovel to plant a tulip
in your backyard.
It is also becoming less popular for mounting darkroom prints; air
drying and linen taping being the new approach.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography

Website: http://www.rabinergroup.com