Subject: RE: [Leica] Warranty Issues
From: "Kit McChesney | Acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:02:17 -0700

John--

Well then, there you go! Enjoy! :)

K.

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us]On Behalf Of John
Collier
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 10:00 AM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Kit,

When I buy new or fresh used gear, I only buy authorized because I want
my gear to come with a worldwide warrantee. The new gear also comes
with a Passport protection plan (even in Canada and the UK,
elsewhere?). I think passport is a good deal when there is a Leica Days
on and there is a rebate in effect. That brings the total cost to
within a couple hundred or so of grey equipment. When the price
difference is significant then it becomes a little more difficult to
justify. For instances the MAP price on the 28/2 is $2195US while the
grey market price $1695US. The MAP is 30% more than the grey price!

This is why I find Passport warranty so annoying. I already have a
rider on my insurance policy that has more extensive coverage than
Passport offers. Yet I have to pay a 30% premium to get a worldwide
warrantee! I would rather they did not offer passport or offered it at
as another optional extended plan. That way a product with world wide
warrantee would be more reasonably priced.

So what do I do? I tend to buy new cameras when a model is first
released as the likelihood of significant problems is quite high. With
lenses I buy fresh authorized used (still under international
warrantee) or demo as problems are generally immediately apparent and
the likelihood of unforeseen problems is very low. With old lenses and
bodies, I just send it out for a CLA because I want it to be reliable.

John Collier