Subject: [Leica] 280 f/4 vs 180 2.8 with 1.4x converter
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 18:13:57 -0500

Hi Marc-
    Got 'em both and use the converter with both. I have to say that the 280
f/4 is, hands down, no doubt THE best 280 (300) f/4 I ever picked up (ED
Nikon and L Canon included) -- possibly the best ever made. Out of it's 9 or
so total elements, all but one are ED type glass! It's heavy, but works well
with the shoulder stock. If I stalk wildlife and need lens speed, I use this
lens -- if I have to move around a lot, I use the 400 f/6.8. The 180 with
the 1.4x cannot compare when used wide open. It's good, but the 280 is
noticeably better. Hope that helps!
    Ed