Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop 7 vs, Elements 2.0
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 16:30:40 -0800

"John O. Newell" wrote:

> Phil --
>
> Many thanks, your comments and the link were _very_
> helpful.  Now I know why I never really got anywhere with
> LE.  I'm going to buy a copy of Elements.  (BTW, the
> tutorials on the Adobe website aren't bad.)
>
> John Newell
>
> Phil Leeson wrote:
> >
> > I had 5LE  for a short time - hard to figure out for an amateur like me.
> > Elements was easier, definitely worth the upgrade.  There was less
> > difference between Elements and Elements 2.  Here's a linkwith more
> > specifics:
> > http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/882217
>
> --

John and Phil!

Even though you've made up your mind I'll say one thing.
I've been using Photoshop since 1.1 well over a dozen years and watched
the world change around it.
It used to annoy me because it took up my whole 2 MG hard disk on my SE
and I didn't know how to make a rectangle with it.
But i got better and went through every upgrade with enthusiasm and
learned more in very small increments.
What ever you do it's the tip of the iceberg on the dozen other ways you
could have done it some of them better.

I've played around with Readers Digest Photoshop with previous names on
another computer here and they were just as a frustrating experience and
using other programs. The just didn't do what they needed to do.
People way "if you needs or simple why hassle with cluttered up menus,
get a simpler program."
I say there is nothing simple about using a program which simply wont do
the simple thing you want it to do. (And am used to doing simply on the
"complex" program.
Photoshop is a galaxy, a cult for many a reason.
If you are having trouble with it ask any 5th grade kid. They will guide
you through layers with no trouble at all.

What are the great forces in photography today?
A Nikon and Canon digital camera body with it's respective glass.
Leica cameras, M and R (we're prejudice I know)
Perhaps a Hasselblad camera body, A Linhof; a Schneider lens. A Gitzo
Carbon tripod. An HMI light. A Domke bag.
A Light Impressions, Thinline Portfolio Box.
None of these "things" even comes close by a tenth to the power of
Photoshop. What Photoshop is doing for photography today. For Millions
who never had a darkroom and never would it's that plus 20 times more.
With "Elements" you're not going to be able to have a face to face talk
with a High School school kid on what's going on. They are using
Photoshop. Pirated unfortunately. But Photoshop.
If not you are totally out of it. "Elements?" HA!
Get with it and get Photoshop. It's a world. You won't regret it.

If there ever was a chunk of money I spent on something I found was
worth it many times over Photoshop was it.
Next to my Leica M6 of course!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography