Subject: Re: [Leica] Moderately OT: Scanner or Digital Camera?
From: "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:10:57 +0800

> I told him I'd be shooting the thing on film and have the scans made at
> the time of processing as I usually did.
> He gave me a withering look. Asked me if I had a digital camera.
> I said no.
> Another even more withering look.
> (But I'm not sure if he knew what i was talking about on the scan at
> processing time thing.)
>
> I'm wondering if the reason why these guys like digital so much is
> because it gets them the whole "take" to play with.
> Instead of the few shots I'd normally give them.

Hi Mark

I can emphatise with your situation, having similar experiences.

The market forces are changing (at least where I live, in Singapore) where
digital is so well accepted that it's almost
crippling when competing with those digital guys. Many are unnaturally
techno savvy, and digital mini labs with Frontier (and even some with Durst
Lamba machines) are all over the country. The digital photography culture is
quite well established. Even for black and white prints for weddings,
professional wedding photographers here are converting their digital files
using Photoshop to authentic looking black and white using a variety of
techniques and making black and white prints, and they are able to offer
that at a lower price point and more profits.

Clients want digital for many reasons, and many not having to do with
quality. They want to see wat was being shot so that they can be happy and
satisfied on the spot, they want the output fast, and yes, they want ALL of
the shots so that their designers and graphics pple can play with the whole
lot.

The market for film seems to be shrinking, and there still don't seem to be
a Leica digital offering in sight. (digilux is not counted!) I forsee my use
of Leica equipment be relegated to just personal photo documentary projects
and happy snaps. (which might not be that bad an idea.....)

Boon Hwee

Message from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Moderately OT: Scanner or Digital Camera?)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Moderately OT: Scanner or Digital Camera?)