Subject: RE: [Leica] How can a Leica not come from an "authorized Leica dealer"?
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:11:48 -0500

Yes, but what's covered under the warranty, and what's covered under the
"passport," are two very different things:
The warranty, as I understand it, covers failure due to manufacturer
error, incompetence, etc. I.E. - my film won't advance properly because
of something that happened to the camera prior to my purchasing it;

The passport is the equivalent of one of those bizarro insurance plans
you can buy with electronic equipment - you buy the $89 portable CD
player and the saleskid sells you a $39
two-year-covers-every-contingency insurance policy, carefully explaining
that if you run over the CD player with your car the day before the
policy expires - wink! Wink! - bring in the parts and we'll give you a
new one - or, wink! Wink!, the equivalent player we sell at that time.
So it is with the passport. If you drop your M7 off a cliff on the last
day of the passport, and recover a piece with a serial number on it and
ship it to Leica, they are obligated to repair it or replace the camera.

The passport is one hell of a deal, an, unlike virtually everything else
Leica makes, well worth the extra you pay for it. :-)

B. D.