Subject: Re: [Leica] What digital SLR?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:08:25 -0800

At 10:59 PM 2/11/2003 +0800, you wrote:

>>I'm leaning towards Nikon. I'll probably start (and most likely finish)
>>with a D100 kind of camera (price range). Any flames?

Some things to think about when considering a digital SLR over a digital
point and shoot:

1.  The point and shoot will give you a "live" view on the LCD and instant
feedback.  You don't get a "live" view with the SLR.
2.  You can stick most compact digital cameras in a pocket and carry them
everywhere.  Those SLR's are heavy!!  The extra lenses require a camera bag.
3.  Some point and shoots have better viewfinders and LCD than the
SLR's.  Try them out.  Look at the Digilux compared to the Nikons.
4.  Close-ups.  I haven't seen any digital SLR that can come close to my
Nikon 990 as far as close-ups go.  The tilting screen makes it easy to do
macro          photos, too.
5.  The 4-6 megapixel point and shoots give you a big enough file to print
an 8x10 or, if you use a step-up program or GF, a 16x20.  The bigger files
just take up more room on your computer and more time to process.
6.  You can buy lots of storage cards with the money you save on the
compact camera.
7.  Leica is bound to come out with a digital SLR eventually that will use
the lenses you already have.  That's what I'm waiting for ;-)

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

photos available from: