Subject: [Leica] Leica M7 Top Plate: Brass AND Zinc!
From: "Kit McChesney | Acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 10:43:30 -0700

Howdy LUG'ers:

Well, the plot thickens on the brass and zinc questions on the M7.

I woke up a little worried this morning, thinking I may have taken Jerry to
task for no good reason. Turns out the answer is brass AND zinc.

I just received an email from the head of repair for Leica USA, and he tells
me that the top plate is brass, indeed, but that it is plated with zinc. So
if you do wear your black chrome finish down, you will see a silvery color,
and that is the zinc. But know there is brass underneath.

I suppose if you want to enjoy the "brassing," you'll have to use Brasso to
get through the zinc to find it!

Whew!

Kit