Subject: Re: [Leica] Image sizing help
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:18:46 -0800

Alastair,
There is an easy way to do this and you don't have to divide your photos
into batches of verticals and horizontals.  Use ImageReady, which comes with
Photoshop.  Select Image|Image Size, then in the image size dialog click
"Action Options".  You will see a pull down list in which one of the options
is "Width and Height".  Choose the width and height option, and also click
the "Do not enlarge" checkbox.  Then, in the image dimensions, type the max
resolution for width and height.  In your case, you would type 600 for both
width and height.  When you click ok, this will cause ImageReady to resize
your image to 600px on the longest edge, whether that is height or width.

To to this to a batch of pictures, simply record the procedure as a batch
action, and save it as a "droplet".  In the droplet creation dialog, there
are options that allow you to control where to put the resulting images, how
to handle naming conflicts, etc.  What I do is to create the droplet so that
the resulting images are saved into whatever directory the droplet is in.
So, I just copy the droplet wherever I want to save my resized images.
Finally, you simply drag your images and drop them onto the droplet file
itself and ImageReady takes care of the rest.

BTW, these instructions are for Photoshop/ImageReady 7 for OS X.

Good luck -- Jim Laurel