Subject: Re: [Leica] trading cornbread recipes
From: Jim Hedger <jrhedger@pdq.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:53:51 -0600

On 2/13/03 9:12 AM, "John Collier" <jbcollier@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Is this the right thing to have with the armadillo stew? I do not want
> to commit a Southern faux pas.
>
> John Collier
>
> On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 07:03 AM, SonC (Sonny Carter) wrote:
>
>> Here in Louisiana, cornbread often has, you guessed it, hot peppers.
>>
>> 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
>> 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
>> pinch or two of salt
>> three pinches baking soda
>> 1 tablespoon baking powder
>> three or four pinces hot pepper flakes
>> 1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon drippings
>> 1 egg
>> 1 cup buttermilk
>> Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
>>
>> Grease the skillet and stick it in the oven to get it hot, pull it
>> out, pour the batter in and stick it back in the oven until it browns
>> on the top.  Flip it out of the skillet onto a plate, and enjoy.
>> Excellent with fried perch and some greens.
>
> --
Sir:

Armadillo is not indigenous to Louisiana and never existed East of the
Mississippi River until bridges were introduced. There are no traditional
recipes for them. You obviously have us mistaken for Texas where they are
served BBQ'd and served with Tortillas as the side bread. In Louisiana we
stick to serving cornbread with vegetables and seafood like Catfish,
Gaspergoo, Shoepick or Garfish. "Billy Madison" is not an accurate depiction
of all of Louisiana life. ; )

Thank you and best regards,

Jim Hedger

Replies: Reply from "SonC \(Sonny Carter\)" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] trading cornbread recipes)