Subject: Re: [Leica] Film Scanners
From: Ernest Nitka <enitka@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:07:45 -0500

Tom - as others have said you can't go wrong with any of the top
scanners.  My caveats are as follows:
- - I never could stand SCSI and am glad to be rid of it.  I'm on a MAC
platform and firewire is the way to go.  I stuck my finger into the
firewire port and my iMac even properly identified me ( "excessively large
device with poor attitude")

- - I had the old Sprintscan 4000 - you have to know how to clean it with
their special brush. Would be concerned about the health of the company and
the longevity of after sale support.

- - Own Coolscan 4000 ED which I like but find the Nikon software horrible
and would point you to this web page
http://www.marginalsoftware.com/LS8000Notes/autoexposure_not_working.htm
which shows the clipping that goes on with their software - THIS is not a
problem with Vuescan which has been said many times before - has to be the
software bargain of the decade.

ernie nitka