Subject: Re: [Leica] Covering Anti-War protest in Philly
From: Matthew Powell <mlpowell@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:26:35 -0600

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 02:14 PM, bdcolen wrote:
>  And BTW, I have never read any of
> Zinn's incredibly biased U.S. History texts - and was horrified that his
> text was what my youngest had as a high school "text" -

In defense of Zinn, he admits to his biases, and is up front about them.
In history, there is no such thing as objectivity, all texts will be
biased one way or another. The difference between Zinn and your average
high-school or college history text (and here I'm thinking of _A
People's History_ and _Declarations of Independence_) is that his biases
are made clear, rather than masked with a false objectivity.

In addition, I don't think anyone can disagree with any factual claims
made by Zinn in his work - analysis, yes, facts, I don't think so.