Subject: RE: [Leica] LUG manners - Crackers?
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:09:37 -0800

On 2/16/03 Kit McChesney | acmefoto  wrote:

>Thank you for noticing the racial slur. I'd also like to add, too, that
>there seems to be no shortage of sexist remarks targeting women, and I saw
>an offhand slur against non-straight folk last week as well. Neither of
>those derogatory remarks made me especially happy. Not to mention the
>reference to "crackers," which I tried to handle with some humor (and that
>eventually led to some good cornbread and armadillo stew recipes!).

I didn't grow up where "cracker" was a slur - in fact it was an unknown. And it
wasn't a term I heard much in Mississippi either.

Lately I've been reading about the term moving into the mainstream, however,
with middle and upper-middle class southerners talking about a "cracker
lifestyle."

I've come to associate it with a socio-economic term whose negative connotation
were, for the most part, being diminished, and which was never as negative as
any of the more common racial slurs.

I did appreciate the recipes. I was amazed to see armadillos as far east as
Nashville when I drove east this summer.

Adam