Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG manners - Crackers?
From: "\(SonC\) Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:33:04 -0600

hmmm, except for four years in Germany as a teen, I've lived in the South
all my life, and only in the past few years have I heard the term cracker
applied to anyone but a person from Georgia, and maybe Northern Georgia.

Kim Pearson of TCNJ has this to say about it:

Kim Pearson © 2003. All Rights Reserved

CRACKER INTRODUCTION

"Buddy, I'll tell you this and I'll tell the wo'l - all the crackers, all
the poah white trash, all the nigger-hitting and nigger-breaking white
folks - I loves life and I got to live and I'll scab to hell to live."

Claude McKay's use of the word cracker in this passage from his novel Home
to Harlem fiercely illustrates the potent and derogatory punch this epithet
has when employed to describe whites. However, the word's etymology is
slippery. It is also a designation used by and for Southerners many of whom
self-identify proudly as crackers, especially whites from Georgia and
sometimes from Florida. ( At the same time, much of the impact the word has
on its recipients and their reactions depend on who's doing the calling and
where the people doing the calling are from. Indeed, one study identifies 21
kinds of crackers , all but one identified with the South. (McDavid, 96)
While the word cracker has varied and shifting definitions, and while
"cracker culture" is a major field of study all by itself, the word cracker
actually holds mostly negative connotations stemming back to its first
usage. In fact, in Florida, the word cracker when used as a racial epithet
is a violation under the Florida Hate Crimes Act. (Hendrickson, 52).

Regards,

Sonny