Subject: Re: [Leica] Covering Anti-War protest in Philly
From: Matthew Powell <mlpowell@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:59:24 -0600

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 02:39 PM, bdcolen wrote:
> The problem is, Matthew, that when High School kids get one of Zinn's
> textbook they don't have the education, maturity, or experience to judge
> his perspective and to take much of it with the proverbial grain of
> salt. Reading selections from Zinn along with a standard text might make
> sense, and make for good discussion. But Zinn by himself? No way.

Zinn by himself is no worse than a regular history book by itself, which
whitewashes our past to help indoctrinate the youth into being

How many history books really cover the genocide of American Indians?
American foreign policy in the 20th century? The other side of Dresden,
Hiroshima, Nagasaki. Most history books tend to diminish the role of
slavery in the Civil War and diminish the racism of the North and in Abe
Lincoln.

I forget the author's name (Loewen, I think), but there's a fairly good
account of the half-truths and disinformation in American history texts,
_Lies My Teacher Told Me_

Ideally, as you say, history classes would be about discussion, and
comparing two viewpoints. But from what I remember of high school
history, it was memorize some names and dates from this text, and
remember them for a few days.