Subject: [Leica] OT: Unhealthy Crouching Attitudes.
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@jbm.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:13:39 -0500

This came by in email, and I thought the assembled company might enjoy
it -- I don't recall its having been seen here before.  I can't vouch
for its authenticity...

- --------------------------------------
A LETTER TO "THE TIMES" (January 1851)

Sir,
I beg to bring to your notice the serious harm likely to come from
the increasing popularity of photography. Since Mr. Talbot and
Mons. Daguerre perfected their processes for fixing a living image
on paper a few years ago, there has been an alarming increase in the
popularity of this un-natural pastime. The stage has now been reached
when permanent damage is likely to inflicted not only on paintings,
engravings and the arts in general, but upon industry, manners and the
home itself.

Already, I have been informed, the fascinations of the photograph albums
are having their effect on thousands of children who could be better
employed in the pit or mill: and I can myself vouch unhappily from
my own family circle that idleness and vanity are encouraged by the
constant posing for portraits, and the subsequent poring over them in
unhealthy crouching attitudes.

I beg to subscribe myself, Sir, your obedient servant,
Patrick Lawrence,
Old Vicarage, Shinfield, Berkshire

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] OT: Unhealthy Crouching Attitudes.)