Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: Unhealthy Crouching Attitudes.
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:12:45 -0700

Well, when I said "unsung," (about Niepce) I meant on this current thread.
Every history of photography sings his praises quite audibly! His
description, written to his brother, of the creation of a negative with his
little camera (and how he perceived what was happening) is marvelous (I love
that he compares the process to painting):

"I placed the apparatus in the room where I work, facing the bird-house and
the open window. I made the experiment according to the process which you
know, my dear friend, and I saw on the white paper all that part of the
bird-house which can be seen from the window and a faint image of the window
sashes which were less illuminated than the exterior objects .... That is
only a very imperfect attempt .... The possibility of painting in this way
seems to me almost demonstrated .... that which you have forseen has
happened. The background of the picture is black, and the objects white,
that is, lighter than the background." -from Newhall's History

What excitement he must have felt! Incredible!

Kit