Subject: [Leica] A chance to compare yourself to Magnum
From: Ian Watts <i.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:37:59 +0000

"Simon Greenwood" wrote:

> The French have copyrite laws that are rather different to ours, the owner
> of the copyrite (as I understand it) is by default the subject of a
> photograph, unless agreement is made to transfer it to the Photographer.

I think this is true but I don't think it's the reason for the restriction
on the Magnum site. For one thing, the pictures in question were not taken
in France and, for another, the restrictions only apply to Marc Riboud's
images (now I know Riboud is French but I don't think that is relevant in
itself). I suspect that the restriction is for commercial reasons - perhaps
Riboud has a separate publishing agreement with another agency in France
which covers sales in that country?

Ian Watts.

Replies: Reply from "Simon Greenwood" <mail@simon.gs> (Re: [Leica] A chance to compare yourself to Magnum)