Subject: [Leica] OT? August Sander
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:20:58 -0800

Yesterday I visited the large August Sander exhibit at SFMOMA. I found his
style fascinating, with the subjects firmly posed and looking directly into
the camera in the majority of portraits; totally different from the kind of
Leica portraiture characteristic of Eisenstaedt, as an example. The
subjects' clothing and environment accurately convey a sense of their
occupation (which equals social status in Sanders's plan of work). The
images span a period from roughly 1900 to 1960. Although the earlier prints,
i.e., to about 1930, have the limited scale of tonalities that is typical of
the papers of that time, this in no way detracts from the force of the
images, many of which would fit perfectly into W. G. Sebald's novels.
Oliver Bryk

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] OT? August Sander)