Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital - Rumor Mongering apologies to Mark R.
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:00:23 -0500

B.D.,
No, I haven't discounted that excellent lens.  But with a magnification
factor of 50% it is closer to a 25 whereas the competition can give you the
wider view with their lens.  So a working pro could really get by with two
lenses and a teleconverter or two.  The 12-  with the magnification gets
them to 18mm equivalent.  This in practice is fine and will probably play
through most of the world, but Americans like the most, biggest, widest,
fastest, whatever.  Admittedly, Nikons current competitor makes you fork out
8 really large ones to play, but one rumor is that there will be a 5-6MP
full frame camera: guesses would be using chips from the big brother that
have a certain percentage of dead pixels.

Now, back on topic.  I was just wandering around the workshop of a local
custom framer, brought the M to eye, fired off three frames, dropped the
camera with nary a comment or care by the person being photographed.  I
could never get away with that using a current main-line SLR.  I think I am
like Tina in this, someone comes out with a decent 5-6MP camera with a
manual focus option that works and a response time this century and I will
probably buy it for candid and walk around work.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com